Saturday, January 15, 2011

Paris, so far.

So I've been in Paris, France for 5 days now and so far it's been pretty awesome. Everyday is another new gift from God -- nothing is predictable.

This is the NYU center where my classes will be starting Jan. 31! Really eager to learn French and culture.

nyu center

I'm living by myself in a chambre de bonne -- a small studio apartment. It's a 10/15 minute walk from school and the nearest metro stop is 15/20 minutes away. Kind of an annoying walk too with winding roads and such, but I manage.
At night it gets really sketchy because everything in this area closes before 11pm. Hardly anybody is out on the streets after that. It's dark and quiet which really worries me. I REALLY hope nothing bad happens to me. But I know that God is with me always.

My room is small and has no doors except for the door to get in and out of the room. The bathroom, shower, sink, kitchen, desk, and bed are all mashed together in one space. Kind of funny. Very cute though, and very French.

Take a look see at my space --

Sketchy hallway to get to my door.

Sketchy hallway

My door. Numbaaa 9.

#9

Chambre de Bonne

"Closet" area

Bathroom area

Me being cool.

I'm cool

Right now it's the time when everybody is scrambling to find friends, hanging out with whomever, and talking to everybody about anything. But, I think groups have already formed -- groups of which I am not a part of as usual. I never really seem to belong anywhere, which is why leaving Pilgrim for Paris was really heart wrenching (the only place that ever made me feel like I belonged).

Food here is great, but I am already missing Korean food. Currently craving kimchi, dweji gogi, and rice. And sulung ttang!

boulanger patissier

This place is a 10 minute walk from where I live. It is absolutely delicious! For 5,70 Euros, you get a whole baguette sandwich, a drink, and dessert of choice. My usual is a ham/cheese baguette, drink, and chocolate macaroon. Amazing, but does not stand a chance against Korean food.

first french meal

I've been having red wine with my dinners because that's the French thing to do, but to be honest, I don't really like wine. Maybe it's an acquired taste?

Wine and hands

Paris is so clean! I love it. There are garbage bags on the sidewalks that people actually use. The metro station is incredibly easy to use but some transfers are way too long with too many stairs (I think Parisians love stairs btw). Things look pretty old school but work well.

There is service on the metros! Well, they're not really underground.

Metro

Doors are manual to save energy. Parisians are very energy efficient! Love it. Just hold and pull the handle up.

Metro Door

Yesterday, I went on a tour in the heart of Paris. Did the touristy thing and saw all the hot spots. I was blown away by the beauty. Further proof that God does exist. Without a God, I cannot imagine how these things would be thought of, erected, and preserved.

Too lazy to explain each individual thing so you can just visit Paris yourself and go on a tour. For now, you can enjoy the pictures and live vicariously through me:

Marie Antoinette's Last Night

"New Bridge"

Henry IV Monument

I want to do this with my husband one day. But -- the Parisian government cut the locks off from time to time when there are too many hahaha. So, the "love" is not really eternal.

Locks of Love

The combination locks made me laugh. So, if your love does not work out you can come back and take the lock off. Sad, but funny.

Heart Combination Lock

The Louvre

Pyramid

Ferris wheel

Okay, you can enjoy the rest of the pictures on my flickr. (http://www.flickr.com/chrisdeanly)

Might get some Korean food tonight in Koreatown. Haha. If I feel like leaving my room on this gorgeous Saturday afternoon.

More updates to come!

I will leave you with some prayer requests:

1. Continue my relationship with God and never lose sight of my purpose in life.
2. Find at least one good friend whom I can go to for anything.
3. Find a good church to go to regularly.
4. Not be homesick.
5. Do well in my studies.

Merci, Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment